Information on West Scrafton, Yorkshire
West Scrafton in Coverdale existed long before Domesday Book was compiled, when it was known as Scræftun, meaning “the village near the caves”, there being a number of caverns in the rocks through which runs Great Ghyll, flowing through the centre of the village. Today it remains a historic site with 10 of its 30 houses having grade 2 listing status. Most were built in the 1700’s when the village was initially renowned for its textile industry, and then, like many others in the area it became a centre for mining and quarrying and at one point the population exceeded 150 but this declined over the following century as the mines closed and agriculture became the main source of income. Today the village is a quiet backwater but is well situated as a base for walks in Coverdale.