Information on Addingham, Yorkshire
Addingham is situated about 17miles north west of Leeds and 3 miles North West of Ilkley. Its also about 3 miles from the boundary of the Yorkshire Dales National Park at Bolton Abbey. The river Wharfe runs through the edge of the village with Wharfedale to the west of the village.The main A65 road runs past the village, as does the B6160 from the A65 into Wharfedale. Its a large village of around 3600 people and is quite spread out geographically. Historically, the village grew around three centres; Church Street in the east; The Green, about a mile away in the west; and The Old School in between. The village actually used to be known as “Long Addingham”. The area was first settled in the Bronze age as evidenced by ‘cup and ring’ stone markings found on Addingham Moor and nearby Ilkley Moor. By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086, the village was known as “Ediham”, perhaps from Earl Edwin of Bolton Abbey who was the Lord of the manor at the time. The textile industry had arrived in Addingham by the 16th century in 1787 a spinning mill was established at the site now known as Low Mill. A weir was constructed on the river and a wheel installed to provide the power. By 1826, as the advances of the industrial revolution began to impact on jobs and livelihoods, and Low Mill was the scene of a Luddite riot. Hard to believe today as you walk through the quiet lane between the converted weavers cottages! Addingham used to have a railway station operated by the Midland Railway which closed in March 1965. The site is now a housing estate marked by a fish shop –Old Station Fisheries. The village also has 3 pubs –the Fleece, The Crown and The Swan, and The Craven Heifer which offers accommodation.