Information on Gayle, Yorkshire
Gayle is a small hamlet situated 1 mile south of Hawes, with a cluster of stone cottages built around a bridge crossing Duerlry beck. On the beck is Gayle Mill, which was built in 1784, and operated as a cotton mill and then a saw mill before closing in 1988. It was then renovated via a BBC TV Restoration programme and is now open throughout the year for tours and heritage skills training courses. Further up the beck from the bridge is an alternative method of crossing the water in the form of a ford. Gayle has a Methodist Church, constructed in 1833. A breakaway Methodist sect, associated with the Sandemanians in Scotland, was previously associated with the village, but only their graveyard remains in a quiet road alongside the chapel.