Information on Gargrave, Yorkshire
Gargrave sits on the main A65 road and also on the River Aire and Leeds-Liverpool Canal, and the railway line North towards Cumbria from Leeds and Bradford. It’s therefore an important transport hub in the Craven area. It’s a sizeable settlement in the area with around 1800 inhabitants and has the feel of a small town rather than a village. Half a mile south of the village are the remains of a Roman Villa, called Kirk Sink. The stones used to construct the villa were gradually removed and most likely used to make the present village church. Also, on West Street in the village the remains of a moated dwelling from the 13th century have been found. In 1774 the canal arrived in the village and by the 18th century there were a number of cotton mills in the village which took full advantage of the proximity of the canal and its links to the major industrial cities of the North. Gargrave has a number of accommodation options, plus some cafes and 3 pubs –The Masons Arms across the bridge near the church, the Old Swan on the main road in the village and the Anchor on the canal at the edge of the village.